First of all, what is National Author’s Day? It’s a day set aside to celebrate your favorite books and Authors! We here at KidLit.TV have plenty of suggestions on how you can celebrate the day in style.
1. Buy a book! What better way to support an author you love, then by buying one of their books and supporting them as writers. Buy a book written by your favorite author that you haven’t read yet or buy a book you know you love and give it as a gift.
2. Say thank you! Write a letter to your favorite author letting them know how much you like their book. What better way to let someone know you appreciate their work as an author than with a hand written letter stating how you feel. Yes, authors just like everyone else like to know their work has meaning and that people enjoy their books.
3. Do a book review! Make a blog post or youtube video reviewing your favorite book. Create some hubbub around your favorite author and get their name out there for other people who might not have heard of them yet.
4. Learn more! Find out more about how National Author Day came to be. Here’s what the National Calendar had to say:
In 1928, Nellie Verne Burt McPherson, president of the Bement, Illinois Women’s Club had an idea of setting aside a day to celebrate American authors. McPherson was a teacher and throughout her life, an avid reader. While she was recuperating in the hospital during World War I, she wrote a fan letter to fiction writer Irving Bacheller, telling him how much she enjoyed reading his story “Eben Holden’s Last Day A’ Fishin”. Upon receiving her letter, Bacheller sent her an autographed copy of another story and it was then that McPherson realized that she would never be able to adequately thank him for his gift. McPerson decided to show her appreciation by submitting an idea for a National Author’s Day to the General Federation of Women’s Clubs. A resolution was passed declaring November 1 as a day to honor American writers. The United States Department of Commerce recognized this day in 1949.
5. Fly the American Flag! To celebrate the many great American authors, fly your American flag high. The National Calendar has a list of American Authors for you to check out at National Calendar.
6. Write a book! Become an author yourself. Whhat better time to start the National Novel Writing Month (NaNoWriMo) challenge and become the next big author? NaNoWriMo begins November 1st and is a national challenge to get your novel written in 30 days. They have a motivational website to help inspire you to write that novel you’ve been putting off. See details at NaNoWriMo.
In whichever way you decide to celebrate, enjoy the day. Relish in knowing that people all over the world, will be celebrating with you on this wonderful occasion set aside for authors!
Image source Pixabay.